Friday, September 23, 2016

Recipe for Fun Friday - Alexandra's Carrot Muffins (Murder Most Fowl)



So, muffins: a convenient breakfast/snack, cake masquerading as breakfast, or the ugly stepsister of cupcakes? Personally, I absolutely love muffins and quick breads. I'm not really a fan of frosting, so cupcakes are pretty meh to me. Pretty to look at, but not a lot of substance. The only frosting I like is cream cheese frosting, which I love so much I could eat it with a spoon (which I have, leaning over the sink with shame).

Carrot cake has always been one of my favorite cakes, heavily spiced and topped with thick layers of cream cheese frosting. And since there's carrots in there, I can always pretend that it's actually healthy! Luckily, I don't have to do that with these muffins. Since these are meant to be breakfast, there's no cream cheese frosting (sadly), they are absolutely packed with carrots and very lightly sweetened with honey and not sugar.

These are fast and easy to put together, with a wonderful, moist texture. They make a quick grab-and-go breakfast, which I like to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea on the front steps while my dogs romp in the yard before work.

Despite how tasty these are, there are two changes for the next time I make these muffins: a tiny bit more sweetness (either by increasing the honey to 1/2 cup or adding raisins) and a lot more spices (probably 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves).

Enjoy!



Alexandra's Carrot Muffins

Mia's Note: I prefer using coconut oil in my baking, since it's tasty and healthy. Also, I never keep buttermilk around, preferring to mix a bit of vinegar with regular milk. Works like a charm. Lastly, I use Ultragrain All-Purpose Flour, which packs in the nutrition of whole grain flours while working like a regular all-purpose flour. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Makes one dozen. Use as many locally produced ingredients as possible.


Ingredients

2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup safflower or canola oil (See Note)
1/4 cup buttermilk (See Note)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (See Note)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups grated carrots (about 4 medium)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions


Beat eggs light, and then mix in honey, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla In a large measuring cup, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda, salt, and spices. Add dry ingredients, carrots, and nuts to the egg mixture, and mix lightly with a fork until just combined.


Bake in greased muffin pan for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top (mine only took 15 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment