Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Mini Book Reviews: The Semi-Sweet Hereafter, British Manor Murder, Murder of a Queen Bee

There are so many cozies coming out this week that I have to resort to mini reviews to get to them all. These reviews are short and sweet, but (hopefully) get the main point across.


Title: The Semi-Sweet Hereafter (A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery #3)
Author: Colette London
Genre(s): Mystery| Culinary Cozy
Publisher: Kensington
Publication date: September 27, 2016
Page length: 352 pages
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-galley
Author's website: https://colettelondon.com/










My Review: This is the first book I've read in the series, and I find Hayden a very fun and likeable heroine. However, I found her constant rambling when nervous, and continuous need to reassure us that Danny was “just a friend” rather annoying after a while. 


The final clue that helped her nail the murderer was great, and her quick thinking was both amazingly resourceful and also pretty funny. 

Although I don’t feel an intense need to read the previous books in the series, I will definitely keep an eye out for the next one. For all you chocolate-lovers out there (and honestly, if you don’t like chocolate, I just…I don’t know about you), make sure to check out this fun and tasty entry to the Chocolate Whisperer series. (also, what an awesome, fun, and unique job)


Rating: 4/5



Title: British Manor Murder
Author: Leslie Meier
Genre(s): Mystery| Cozy
Publisher: Kensington
Publication date: September 27, 2016
Page length: 304 pages
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-galley
Author's website: http://www.lesliemeierbooks.com/










My Review: This was a short and sweet read. A few of the characters felt like cliches, and there was at least one throwaway character, but I do applaud the complexity of the relationships between the characters. A decent way to pass the time on a lazy Sunday afternoon.


Rating: 3.8/5



Title: Murder of a Queen Bee (Henny Penny Farmette Myster #2)
Author: Meera Lester
Genre(s): Mystery| Cozy
Publisher: Kensington
Publication date: September 27, 2016
Page length: 288 pages
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-galley
Author's website: http://meeralester.com/mlls/










My Review: Let me start by saying, mystery-wise, there's not much there. It's less of a whodunnit (not because they tell you who it is, but because it's so obvious), and more of a "How will they prove it's them?"


That didn't really bother me because I found the characters both interesting and engaging, though the role of Kat (her best friend) felt rather thin. The fact that Abby, our protagonist, is a former cop was interesting and brought a certain level of authenticity to her sleuthing. She didn't make the typical dumb decisions, and even when she was overly aggressive in her search, she was smart enough to know how to handle the situation.


I was worried that her myriad love interests would be annoying, or take away the focus of the story, but overall, it made Abby's life and problems feel more realistic.


I haven't read the first book in the series, though I may check out new additions. Great protagonist and interesting premise. A worthy addition to Kensington's cozy lineup. 


Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment