Thursday, September 22, 2016

Thirsty Thursday and Hungry Hearts - Murder Most Fowl by Edith Maxwell

Hosted by Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

Thirsty Thursday and Hungry Hearts is a weekly meme where I share tasty snippets from the book(s) I'm currently reading.

This week, I'm focusing on Murder Most Fowl by Edith Maxwell. I'm including two parts from a rather long scene: one focusing on drink, the other food.

The scene: It's St. Patrick's Day and Cam (the protagonist) and her friend Lucinda have just been served been served their Irish stew, fish and chips, and requisite green beers at the local pub. Paul Underwood, a suspect in the ongoing Wayne Laitenen murder investigation, has just joined their table.



"A double Irish whiskey neat, with water back." At the waitress's look of confusion, he groaned. "Just bring me a small glass of water when you bring the whiskey." 
When she'd gone, Cam remarked, "I don't know what a water back is, either." She took a bite of the stew and let a chunk of meat dissolve on her tongue as she saved the stew's rich flavors. 
"Adding a little water to whiskey opens up the flavor," Paul said. "I should stop saying it anyplace but at the bar itself. The server ought to know the term, but..." 
Cam swallowed. "So you weren't friends with Paul anymore? But I saw you driving away from his place Saturday afternoon." 
"Yes, I went to see him." Paul looked at the band. "We were trying to sort of work through a couple of things." 
"You mean the reason you stopped being friends?" Cam asked. 
"Yes," Paul said without meeting her eyes.
***

They ask more questions, and Paul gets upset and leaves. They continue on with their meal.


She pulled her attention to the most delicious beef stew she'd ever tasted. 
"Is that good?" Lucinda asked, popping another French fry into her mouth. 
"Very." Cam poked her spoon around in the bowl. "Beef, carrots, onions, potatoes, of course. But the flavor is what does it. I wonder what their secret is."
"I read a recipe that calls for a bottle of stout in it. Can you taste beer?" 
Cam rolled a spoonful around on her tongue. "That might be it. I'm going to try this at home. Make it for Pete whenever he solves this case." 
"You could do it all local, too." Lucinda waggled her eyebrows. 
"Absolutely, and then give the recipe to the shareholders next summer or fall, when I harvest carrots and potatoes. Good idea."
____________________________________________________________________

Beef stew is probably in my top 5 of delicious comfort foods. I'm definitely going to try this recipe once the weather cools down, but until then, stop by tomorrow to check out a recipe for carrot muffins. They're cooling on the counter as I speak/type!

So everyone, what would you include in your top 5 comfort foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment