Friday, September 9, 2016

Recipe for Fun Friday: Hannah Swensen's Cappucino Royales

I know that I bitch and moan about this series way too often, but this is legit my favorite recipe (that I've tried so far) from Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen series. Every time I try one of her recipes, I complain about certain inaccuracies in the recipe and the lack of flavor in the finished bakes, which means I need to fuss with the recipe to get them right. However, this recipe is near perfect; I make very minor adjustments and the result is a huge heap of cookies that everyone loves. Enjoy!

So, so good


Hannah Swensen's Cappucino Royales


2 cups melted butter (4 sticks)
1/4 cup instant coffee powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons brandy or rum extract (I usually use all vanilla extract or sub actual rum for this)
3 cups sugar (she specifies white, I like to swap at least half with brown)
3 beaten eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups chocolate chips (she says milk, I prefer semi-sweet)
5 1/2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at 3 minutes on HIGH, or melt it in a saucepan over low heat on the stovetop.

Mix in the instant coffee powder, vanilla and rum or brandy extract. Stir it until the coffee powder has dissolved (this could take a while).

Add the sugar, beaten eggs, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well.

Stir in the chocolate chips. Mix until they're evenly distributed.

Add the flour in one cup increments, stirring after each addition. Mix until the flour is thoroughly incorporated.

At this point, I like to chill the dough overnight to really let the flavor develop and make it easier to scoop and hold its shape. However, this is not included in the recipe, so I'm assuming you can go right ahead with the baking.

Form walnut-sized dough balls with your fingers (I use a medium-sized cookie scoop). Roll them in a small bowl with granulate sugar if you decided you wanted them sweeter (the cookies are already plenty sweet, so unless you've got a raging sweet tooth, I don't advise this).

Place the dough balls on greased cookie sheets, 12 to a standard-size sheet.

Flatten the dough balls with the back of a metal spatula, or with the palm of your impeccably clean hand (also unnecessary, but your choice).

Bake the cookies at 350 degrees F, for 9 to 11 minutes. Let them cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, and then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to complete cooling.

Yield: 12 to 14 dozen cookies (according to Joanne Fluke, but I get about half that yield)
______________________________________________________________________

This recipe is probably in the top 5 of my favorite cookies. What's your favorite cookie recipe? Share it with me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment