Saturday, October 1, 2016

Mini Book Reviews: Death by Pumpkin Spice; High Kicks, Hot Chocolate, and Homicides; The Book Club Murders

Another batch of cozies that were released on September 27th. Read on for my short (but not necessarily sweet) reviews. They are written in both the order that I read them, and also from my lowest rating to my highest (so make sure to read to the end).


Title: Death by Pumpkin Spice (Bookstore Cafe Mystery #3)
Author: Alex Erickson
Genre(s): Mystery| Cozy
Publisher: Kensington
Publication date: September 27, 2016
Page length: 320 pages
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-galley
Author's website: https://alexericksonbooks.com/










My Review: I try to avoid writing negative reviews. I feel uncomfortable voicing criticism, unless I can sandwich it with some positive. Unfortunately, the best thing I can say about this book is that I finished it. I've gotten to the point where I stop reading books after a certain point if I'm just not feeling it, so the fact that I read to the end (although I skimmed a vast majority of it to get to the ending) is saying something.

However, this book made me so mad at several points. The main character is crushingly insecure, and her constant self-deprecation became really annoying, really fast. Also, she makes absolutely ridiculous and dangerous decisions THAT SHE ACKNOWLEDGES ARE DUMB, yet goes and does them anyway. She was the definition of a "too stupid to live" heroine. 

Not only that, but she has no actual connection to the victim or situation, which makes her burning need to be part of the investigation more of a sick thrill than a need to clear her name or bring closure to a loved one's death. I found it rather detestable.

I rarely let myself get so worked up over cozies (I love them, but hold them to a different standard), but there was so much here that I just couldn't overlook.

This was the first book I read in this series and definitely the last. Save your money. There are so many worthwhile cozies out there that deserve your support.

Rating: 2.5/5


Title: High Kicks, Hot Chocolate, and Homicides (A Happy Hoofers Mystery #5)
Author: Mary McHugh
Genre(s): Mystery| Cozy
Publisher: Kensington
Publication date: September 27, 2016
Page length: 352 pages
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-galley
Author's website: http://marymchugh.org/









My Review: This was the first book in the series that I've read and it started out great; the premise of a group of women in their 50's who love dancing and travel the world to perform as a hobby/side job was a refreshing change from all the 20-early-30-something-year-olds with cafes that seem to populate the cozy universe. Don't get me wrong, I still love those, but when you read as many cozies as I do, a little variety is nice. 

However, as the story got near the end, the reveal of the murderer was so laughably obvious, and the third act just wouldn't end.It's always a bad sign when the murderer has been caught and you glance down at the page count and wonder why there's so much left. Some dangerous element kept popping up and having to be dealt with, even when the main plot was already wrapped up. There were several points where I said (out loud), "Are you serious?!" when the next ridiculous bit of danger was introduced. It might as well have been a farce.

Unfortunately, this book showed a lot of promise in the beginning that just wasn't delivered in the end.

Rating: 3.5/5


Title: The Book Club Murders (Oakwood Mystery #1)
Author: Leslie Nagel
Genre(s): Mystery| Cozy
Publisher: Alibi
Publication date: September 27, 2016
Page length: 224 pages
Source: NetGalley
Format: e-galley
Author website: http://www.leslienagel.com/










My Review: What a great premise; an intrepid member of a mystery book club (awesomely named "The Agathas" after Agatha Christie) realizes that a series of local murders have been set up to resemble the murder scenes from the club's reading list. That realization leads her to believe that the murderer must be someone in the group, and she uses her connections within the group, as well as her tenuous connection to the lead detective on the case, to bring the murderer to justice.

It was a little heavy on the romance, but it wasn't enough to ruin my enjoyment. An intelligent heroine, great cast of characters, and satisfying ending make this a great debut series. Already looking forward to the next installment.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment