Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thirsty Thursday and Hungry Hearts #3 - A Dark and Stormy Murder by Julia Buckley



Food and books are the two greatest loves of my life, so it's natural that I would participate in Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts. This is where I will post food and/or drink quotes from the books I'm currently reading.

This week's entry is from A Dark and Stormy Murder, the first book in Julia Buckley's A Writer's Apprentice Mystery series. This is not a culinary cozy, unlike her Undercover Dish Mysteries (first book reviewed here), but in the little bit I've read, there are some tasty food references.



This scene takes place over dinner, shortly after Lena discovers a dead body on her mentor's property:

At a grand oak table in Camilla Graham's dining room, we dined on fresh spinach salad with chunks of feta cheese, chopped walnuts, and an herb vinaigrette. After that came a delicious casserole that Camilla'a chef had left for us to bake and serve, filled with chicken, fresh vegetables, and a hint of sherry. Camilla looked tired, but she proved to be a gracious conversationalist. While I polished off the last of my salad (I found that I was famished after the day's events), she asked me about Allison - how we had met, how long we had been friends.
A light, simple entry, after the smorgasbord that often took place in last week's Bruno, Chief of Police. Thursday is the Daley Plaza Farmer's Market near my job; might have to hit it up for some spinach salad for dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love that kind of salad...and the casserole makes me very hungry, too.

    Great cover and title for the book, too. Thanks for sharing, and here's MY BOOKISH THURSDAY POST

    ReplyDelete